Although Dolgarrog has existed as a small community for centuries in the Conwy Valley it was not until the arrival of the Aluminum industry that the village grew. Produiction at the new plant started in 1907, with a rolling mill being added by 1916. In 1924 use was made of water coming from Snowdonia to turn water turbines to produce electricity. Dolgarrog in many ways was a 'company town' with uniform housing being provided for the workers some of whom moved down from Scotland to start up the plant. The picture shows the main street look NW the plant being out of shot on the right. In 1925 16 people were killed when a dam breached at Cwm Eigiau, and overwhelmed a second dam at Coedty. The water rushed down the hillside sweeping everything along with it including huge boulders. The works was flooded and the whole community was affected.
No EXIF information is available
Categories & Keywords
Keywords:1925, buildings, conwy, cymru, dams, disasters, disasters, dolgarrog, national, park, reservoirs, snowdonia, villages, wales