The Parys copper mine lies to the west of the small Anglesey port of Amlwch. Copper ore has been worked there since the Bronze Age and later during the Roman occupation. The main period of working was from 1768-1883 when it was the largest producer of copper ore in Europe. At Pearl Shaft, the Cornish engine house dates to 1819.
Categories & Keywords
Keywords:amlwch, anglesey, buildings, copper, cornish engines, cymru, engine, mining, mon, open-cast, parys mountain, pumping, steam, wales, ynys