HRS 733 Darcy Lever, St Stephen's church 2006, Front view
Shows position of missing spire. Apart from coal, clay was also extracted from Ladyshore Colliery, Little Lever, and was used extensively to produce terra-cotta goods. In 1845, Fletcher's the colliery owners actually built a church, (St Stephen's, Darcy Lever, built 1842-1845)) from terra-cotta. (SH109/733085) This use of terra-cotta by the architect Edmund Sharpe was so novel that the Illustrated London News carried a drawing of the church in their February 1845 issue.
LEICA D-LUX2, f/3.6 @ 6.3 mm, 1/100, ISO 80, No Flash
Categories & Keywords
Keywords:architecture, bolton, christianity, churches, darcy lever, edmund sharpe, ladyshore, lancashire, religion, st stephen, terra cotta, victorians