HRS 1827 St Stephen's terra cotta church Darcy Lever 1845
In 1845, Fletcher's the colliery owners actually built a church, (St Stephen's, Darcy Lever, built 1842-1845)) from terra-cotta. (SH109/733085) This use of terra-cotta by the architect Edmund Sharpe was so novel that the Illustrated London News carried a drawing of the church in their February 1845 issue.
Categories & Keywords
Keywords:architecture, bolton, christianity, churches, darcy lever, edmund sharpe, illustrated london news, ladyshore, lancashire, religion, st stephen, terra cotta, victorians