The line was originally built to transport iron ore from the area to the coast, (1875) The line eventually closed in 1913. However in 1915 the famous and skilled engineer/model-maker Joseph Bassett-Lowke and Robert Proctor-Mitchell, converted the line to the 15 in (381 mm) gauge. The line is now operated as a heritage railway from Ravenglass to Dalegarth near Boot and takes passengers in into the heart of the English Lake District.
Categories & Keywords
Category:Travel and Places
Subcategory Detail:United Kingdom
Keywords:boot, cumbria, eskdale, lake district, locomotives, narrow-gauge, railways, ravenglass and eskdale railway, steam engines, tourism