The Anderton vertical boat lift was opened in 1875 raised (or lowered boats) over 50 feet, each caisson being 75 feet x 15 ft 6in x 5 ft between the Trent and Mersey Canal and the Weaver navigation. Originally hydraulically powered by 1903 it was powered electrically and use counter balances. There were various modifications over the years and it operated until as late as 1983. Designed by hydraulic engineer Edwin Clark under Sir E Leader Williams it is one of the great pieces of Victorian engineering. It was restored by partnership including monies from the Heritage Lottery Fund and re-opened in March 2002. There is now a visitor centre.
No EXIF information is available
Categories & Keywords
Keywords:Leader Williams, Trent and Mersey, Victorian, anderton boat lift, canals, cheshire, engineering, hydraulics, river, sepia, weaver