HRS 1125 Manchester, Salford Junction Canal, Camp Street 1973
The Manchester, Salford Junction Canal was opened in 1839 as a way of allowing coal traffic from the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal access to the canal network via the Rochdale Canal. The canal with its long tunnel under Manchester's street was built to avoid carting goods across Manchester to the Rochdale Canal. Later a link canal was opened at Hulme and the remarkable MSJc canal became a white elephant. PHOTO: The canal tunnel runs directly beneath Camp street and on under Deansgate. This section of the canal was excavated as a cutting and then roofed with brick. The rest of upper section of the canal was in sandstone.
Categories & Keywords
Keywords:ARP, WW2, air-raids, camp street, canals, manchester, salford junction canal, second world war, shelters, tunnels, world war two