The Menai Suspension bridge was constructed by the great engineer Thomas Telford to carry traffic including the Irish mail traffic from the mainland on to the Isle of Anglesey, then on to Holyhead and ship to Ireland. The deck carrying the road is 100 feet from the base at the insistance of the Admiralty to ensure that the sailing ships with tall masts could pass beneath. The bridge design and construction was in its time revolutionary using wrought iron chain links. Work began in 1819 on the stone towers, the main span being 579 feet. It was completed in 1826 and is still in use today.
No EXIF information is available
Categories & Keywords
Keywords:cymru, engineering, industrial archaeology, industrial revolution, menai, mountains, railways, roads, sheep, thomas telford, victorians, wales