"Coal was mined in the Malltraeth Marshes from the 16thC - a ship load was sent to Ayr in 1577 and another to France in 1595. These were mainly shallow mines with shafts up to the depth of 130 yards. The Berw Colliery was opened around 1815. The Llangristiolus Burial Register for 1842 records the burial of Wm Williams killed underground at Berw, aged 12." Eric Jones. Geograph.
No EXIF information is available
Categories & Keywords
Keywords:buildings, chimney, coal mine, coal mining, coal-mining, coalmining, cottages, cymru, houses, malltraeth, ruins, wales, ynys mon